Magic shell in a mason jar is an easy way to create a chocolaty ice cream topping without much fuss. Follow these tips and instructions to make this for your next ice cream party.
What is Magic Shell?
Simply put, magic shell is a chocolate topping for ice cream that is pourable at room temperature, but hardens as it cools. I love it when the chocolate makes little pools in the cracks and crevices of my ice cream scoops. It’s even better when you can easily make it at home in a mason jar. Not to mention the fact that there are a variety of flavored chips on the market so you can make this treat in any number of different flavors!
Mason Jars are Perfect for Making Magic Shell
Mason jars are any kitchen’s best multi-tasker and the humble mason jar works really well with this recipe for two reasons. First, glass jars are microwavable so it’s a cinch to easily melt the chocolate chips using 30 second intervals. Second, you can easily pour the magic shell straight from the mason jar with our Ergo Spout®. With the Ergo Spout® you can serve the topping straight from the same container in which you made it. In other words, fewer dishes, less mess. Win, win!
To Make Magic Shell in a Mason Jar You Will Need
- 1 bag of chocolate chips
- coconut oil
- Regular mouth mason jar. Quart size is best for this recipe.
- Long spatula such as our vintage style spatula. You’ll want one long enough to stir the contents of the jar.
- 1/4 c. measuring cup. This is for the coconut oil.
- Ergo Spout®. While not strictly necessary to make the recipe, we highly recommend using it for pouring from a mason jar. (Wink!)
What Kind of Chocolate Chips Should I Use?
Here is where you can let your creative juices flow! Baking chips come in variety of flavors. There are classics such as milk or semi-sweet chocolate, as well as more adventuresome varieties like peanut butter, butterscotch or mint. No matter the flavor, so long as there is no candy shell, they should work with this recipe just fine.
Why Use Coconut Oil?
Melted chocolate is delicious, but it is also thick. In order to turn it into an ice cream topping, we need to reduce the viscosity. Simply put, we need to make it thinner. That’s where the coconut oil comes in. Melting the chocolate chips with coconut oil will keep the melted chocolate thin enough to pour, but still allow it to harden as it cools.
Magic Shell in a Mason Jar is a Guaranteed to Produce Smiles
Making magic shell in a mason jar couldn’t be simpler. Basically all you need to do is melt the chocolate chips and the coconut and blend them together. This is easily done in a microwave. Just put the ingredients in the jar, put the jar in the microwave and then use high power for 30 seconds at a time. You don’t want to go overboard on the heat because you risk cooking the chocolate. We are looking for just melted chocolate. It can be immediately poured over ice cream or you can let it cool a bit. Either way you are sure to get smiles all around.
Magic Shell in a Mason Jar
- Regular Mouth Quart Mason Jar
- Long Spatula (such as our Vintage Style Spatula)
- 1/4 c. Measuring Cup
- Ergo Spout(R)
- 1 bag chocolate chips Any kind. I like semi-sweet.
- ¼ cup coconut oil
- Place chocolate chips and coconut oil in a regular mouth mason jar.
- Microwave 30 seconds and then stir with spatula. Repeat this step until the chocolate is smooth and all the chips have melted. It typically doesn't take more than 2 minutes total in the microwave.
- Place the Ergo Spout(R) on the mason jar and pour over ice cream.
Looking for more recipes for your Ergo Spout®?